Tuesday, October 03, 2006

RANT TIME! – The Political Addition

I consider myself to be pretty liberal. My parents are public school teachers, who taught us that everyone is allowed to believe and think what they want to. I also had wild hair up my ass from an early age regarding equality, whether it is race, gender, or age. I wanted to know why my brother got to go on the fishing trip and I didn’t. I DEMANDED that I be allowed to go on the fishing trip – and I never really cared for fishing.

Whenever I saw someone being unfairly treated I jumped to their aid sacrificing my own “coolness” in most cases. I’ve been a bullheaded stubborn sumbitch for quite some time.

When it comes to politics I find myself loving the greenies and the liberals and the democrats. I also find myself getting sick to my stomach with the current state of our country. I try not to think about it too often, because I get too worked up.

After several frustrating arguments I’ve learned to keep my politics to myself at work and amongst friends/family. My grandfather is a Rush Limbaugh listening rock steady conservative – and it’s best to just not go there. I love grandpa – he can’t NOT take it personally so, we talk about fluffy stuff most of the time.

The other day my new department took me out for lunch on my birthday. We were talking about traveling and vacations – which was a nice “get to know you” topic. Eventually we crept into political territory – and for the first time in a long time, I bit my tongue so hard I swear I was bleeding.

I mentioned that I was excited that the guy I voted for in the preliminaries had won and hoped he’d go all the way. If you want to check him out go here.

I loved that he was Muslim – and supporting the Muslims in our country. I fear for these people – I worry that they are being discriminated against for their religious beliefs. I wonder if they are being grouped with the extremists in their faith millions of miles away and put in the basket of “dangerous” when really they’re just regular people like us.

One woman in my department spoke up and said, “He’s an al-Qaeda terrorist, I sure hope he doesn’t get into congress!”

My jaw dropped and my Pad See Yoon nearly fell on the table.

This kind of thought process terrifies me in others. Muslim = Terrorist. That is real to so many people I fear.

Now I must go cleanse myself and watch 5 Daily Shows in a row after I read some Al Franken.

Endrant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home