Thursday, October 13, 2005

We Want Out

I'm finding a pattern in the lives of women I read about and talk to on a daily basis. Our lives not so different even though we live in different states, different countries, married, not married, children, or no children.

We want out.

Helen is living quite possibly the worst work-related stressed out life I can imagine. The stress is making her literally sick.

Elizabeth finally told her company where to stick it. She was being hounded for months at her job.

My friend Steph is up to her eye-balls seeing no way out as she can't seem to hire the people necessary to do the job. Her promised "friday's off" deal is not holding and she's missing her two boys (ages 1 and 2) so badly I can see her skin screaming.

I'm feeling like there is not so much a "glass ceiling" above me but rather a GIANT CEMENT one. There is no room for advancement in my department. There is only 1 spot above me and that one spot is filled by a wonderfully qualified and exceedingly amazing woman. That's the only good part - I have an amazing boss. Bad part - I have no where to move. The only thing I could maybe do is make a lateral move to another department so that I can then eventually move upwards.

This just ticks me right off. All these qualified, smart, savvy women are being beaten down and worked so hard they can't even remember why they wanted this in the first place. I say - we start a movement. We all quit and start some amazing company where we value our employees, pay them what they deserve, don't ask questions when they need to care for their children or are sick, and most of all respect them.

When's lunch - I need a breather.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm seeing Helen soon, hopefully things will be better by then!

Thanks for the linky love, and the support :)

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I'm so sick and tired I don't know how to be sick and tired anymore.

I'll bring my jackhammer, let's get out of this mess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home