Sunday, April 22, 2007

Oreos Anyone?

I had my gestational diabetes screen last week Monday. I ate a 1/2 a bagel with cream cheese before going in. The form clearly states you should eat normally - so I did.

Then they called me 2 days later saying my scores were 'elevated' and that I needed to take the 3 hour test from hell! My score was 149 - they ask anybody over 140 to do the big test. So naturally needle-phobic me freaked the hell out. That's 4!!! needles in 3 hours people and 4 viles of blood. Do the math - I only have 2 arms... that means each arm will get stuck twice in 3 hours! I felt like I was approaching my death as Friday came along.

I slathered both arms with the lidocaine cream that my midwife prescribed for me. I fasted for 12 hours prior to the test - and was starving and thirsty. The first needle was fine, the syrupy drink was awful, but not nearly what people make it out to be. It's just overly sweet koolaid really.

The second needle wasn't bad either - since it was technically the first prick on both arms for the first hour. The waiting was really the most awful. Just sitting and waiting for 3! hours while I should have been at work. I brought my laptop and they did have wireless in the lab so I was able to at least stay connected at work and keep up with emails. I really didn't want to waste PTO on sitting in a waiting room.

The 3rd needle was slightly more painful in that they went into a freshly pricked arm. I tried to get the lidocaine on there as thick as possible but, it really didn't work. The 4th was by far the worst, but at least it was over then.

They weren't suppose to tell me my scores but they discretely showed me the paper for my 1st and 4th draw. My fasting score was at 79 and my 4th draw after 3 hours was 113. I looked online and found that the limit for fasting is around 90 and the limit for the 3 hour is about 140. If those numbers hold true then I think I passed with flying colors.

In which case - pass the oreos.

Our birthing class starts Monday - I'm sure I'll have all kinds of interesting stories to blog about after that. Whenever I get in a class setting I turn into uber-competitive teacher's pet girl. I'm sure this won't be any different.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had gestational diabetes with my first child and luckily did not have to take the test with the second. They just assumed I had it again and put me back on the special diet. Whew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home