Friday, March 23, 2007

24 Weeks

We're approaching 24 weeks tomorrow and we had our first midwife appointment today. What can I say about the midwife experience?? Let's put it this way - the minute we walked out Mr. M looked at me and we both sighed and our shoulders dropped.

I knew something didn't feel right with the OB/Nurse Practitioner combo that we had been experiencing. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was that I was missing or not getting. I knew that I felt that my appointments were abrupt and that I didn't feel a connection, but I wasn't sure if my expectations were too high.

I can't say enough good things about our experience today. Our midwife talked to me like a PERSON, a person who's about to have one of the most important things in my life happen to me. She didn't just scoff when I told her about the anxiety and the needle phobia. Immediately she asked questions about it like, "What makes you nervous, is it the pain or the idea of it?" Not ONE Dr. or lab tech has ever asked me that question. Not ONE person has ever validated my feelings on that subject and I am so relieved to know that it does exist and that I have access to it.

She taught Mr. M how to feel for the top of my uterus - and showed him how she measures with the tape measure. She told me straight up all the stats of their midwifery group. She told me that if I didn't want an IV, wanted to eat/drink, wanted to move around, wanted dim lights or music - that it was all just fine with them. She encouraged me to think about what would be the most calming things to have happen while I'm in labor.

I'm just so thankful that this is available to me and that it's covered by my insurance. I feel like I can trust these people with the care of me and my baby - I feel like they won't compartmentalize me and they'll let me experience the birth as my body wants to. How great is that?!?

I've gained 16 lbs so far - which is right on track for where I'm at. My lower back just started to hurt today - which is uncomfortable but will hopefully subside. I have no stretch marks that I can see yet - cross your fingers! Mr. M still hasn't been able to really feel her but I'm hoping that will happen in the next few weeks. I have my Gestational Diabetes screen at my next appointment which I HOPE is negative because the fewer needles that come in contact with me the better.

The nursery still only has the crib in it and we need to prime and paint this weekend so the muralist can come in and do her thing. My shower is in May (long ways off) so I don't expect to be filling up any drawers or closets any time soon. I'm exited, scared, nervous, anxious, everything all at once. Lucky me though - we're going on vacation for an entire week in Ft. Lauderdale so I can pass the time relaxing on the beach with a good novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home