Saturday, February 10, 2007

All Aboard

Of the three kids in my family I'm the first to get married and the first to have a child. We're all in our twenties. Younger sis is 24 and has a live in boyfriend and older bro is 29 with a long distance girlfriend that he hopes will move to his city in June.

When I announced our engagement I expected a different reaction from my brother and sister. I'd say we're closer than most adult siblings - we talk weekly via email or phone. I thought they'd be as excited as I was and jump and squeal. Not the case, it was more like - "oh thats great - good for you." They were both in my wedding and they both didn't help much with preparations.

My sister didn't even know she was supposed to throw the shower and bachelorette party until my two best girls took her aside and discretely mentioned that she might want to get to it. She was my maid of honor - but couldn't be bothered with most tasks associated with that and my girlfriends took over the reins so that it would all go seamlessly.

I don't know why I thought it would be different with the pregnancy news. I guess I thought that me having a child might effect them more than me getting married. I thought that they would think it was exciting and special that they were going to be an uncle and an aunt. I want them to be present in my childs life - I want them to be strong role models and take an interest in my childs wellbeing.

For me - this pregnancy is an all consuming element to my life. For them - its a minor thing as if I cut my hair or got a new job. They are un-effected with my news and my pregnancy.

I'm having a hard time dealing with their non-interest. I asked my sister if she'd come over and help me move some things around in my house so I could get the nursery ready for new furniture and painting. Her first response is, "Is this BABY stuff??" - and no it didn't sound excited. Her next response was, "You want me to come over and clean your house!?!?"

I'm having little to no help from them - even my dad has been a bit distant. Mom (believe it or not) has been the only constant support I've gotten. She's coming up next weekend to help me clear things out and get this nursery ready for painting.

I just wish they'd get on board already. Maybe its just the curse of going first.

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Dysd Housewife said...

They are just jealous!! I mean cumon, you've got the proverbial white picket fence, whats not to be jealous about?!! LOL. Seriously though, sometimes siblings (and friends) are too wrapped up in their own crap to pay attention to other peoples joy. Use this chance to get closer with your mom, as she is probably the most excited of anyone, at the idea of having her first grandchild and being a "grandma". It may be a real bonding opportunity for you. :) And if you can't get your sibs to be involved, then screw them, it's their loss. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home