Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Guilt and Shame

So - remember yesterday when I send the resume and coverletter with the little error on it and I thought that would be the end of it?

The HR chick emailed me this morning to say she received the email. I took that as my opportunity to apologize for the oversight and thank her for the quick response.

Within the hour she had me on the phone.

Turns out my mere attempt to get some salary information has spiraled out of control to a full fledged interview on Thursday downtown. I failed to do one key element in this little search for information. I failed to find out where the ex-manager of my department had gone to in her career.

Turns out - she's at Smith Johnson. SHe saw my name on the resume and called down to the HR girl to get me on the phone immediately and in for an interview before the end of the week.

I have never personally worked with this manager. She was the boss of my boss before I started. WHen she left my boss took on her role as manager of the department and all I ever get is stories about it. So I know she's cool, I know she basically trained my boss (who I love) so she must have some of those basic management qualities I would hope.

I can't help but feel extremely guilty about this. My current boss is quite possibly one of the most influential people in my career thus far. She has taught me how to handle every situation - even the most difficult and sticky. She has taught me communication skills (email and verbal), excel skills (shortcuts and aesthetics), and most importantly management skills (how to talk to people and get what you need). How can I go to an interview behind her back with her old boss at a company that will most certainly be offering me at least 10K more per year???

So I'm stricken with guilt but at the same time very excited about exploring this new career opportunity. Plus - working downtown - do I really want to do that? Commuting would suck and parking would be expensive.

Guess it's time to buy a new suit - grey with pinstripes I think would be best.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

S. -

If your current manager is as good as you say, then she would be the FIRST person telling you to take this interview, and what's more - nail it.

Your loyalty to her means that every day you come in to do your current job - you give 110%. It does NOT mean you give up opportunities for yourself and your career.

This is business. Your current manager? Would leave in a flash if she found something better. And if she's ANY good at all - she's always looking.

SO buy that suit, print out a sharp clean copy of your resume, slap on some power lipstick - and remember that you are worth every penny of that new job.

If your current boss is the good mentor you think she is? She will be happy for you and want to stay in touch after you leave.

Good luck!!! Fingers and toes crossed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home