Thursday, March 30, 2006

Not Gonna Work

Over the past week my work environment has been extremely stressful. Not just for me but for the whole department. We just can't seem to get ourselves to a normal flow. Rather than a constant steady stream of work with moments of chaos we are experiencing constant chaos with moments of extreme chaos.

It's normal for us to be a bit chaotic at times when too many projects sell at once. Except the difference now is that the chaos is going on it's 4th week and there are no signs of stopping. We're all just trying to keep our heads of water and we're not having much luck.

The other day Mr.M was talking about his buddy who got into real-estate. His buddy isn't liking it much and Mr.M was saying how he just doesn't have the personality to do the job. You have to play the game, be personable, talkative, and self motivated. Then he said - so I was thinking that YOU would be perfect for that job.

I am a sucker for a compliment - especially from my man since I know he's stingy with them and only gives them when he absolutely means it. But it did get me thinking. Could I be good at real-estate? Would I Like it? My initial feeling is that I would want to know what it would be like to do the job on a normal day of work. I would like to shadow someone who's been in the business for over 5 years for a day and then shadow someone who's just starting out to get both perspectives.

I've been told many horror stories. You have to cold call for the first 2 years at least to get a base of clients. You have to sit for hours doing open houses when no one comes. You make no money the first few years but the potential is there to make a lot. The tests and classes cost around 3K and you may not find out until after you take them that you hate it.

I know I tend to get antsy at jobs. I have never stayed at a job longer than when I was dealing cards and that was because the money was too good to leave. Currently I've been at my job for 1.5 years and I've already got the itch. Especially with all the chaos that has been happening. Not to mention that there is literally no possibility of promotion and the pay will stink as long as I stay at the company I'm at.

Who's got 2 cents to throw in on this?

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Cursing Mama said...

Are you sure you only want 2 cents? You should definately find a good agent whose been doing if for years (15+ they're the ones that know how to weather a housing down turn) to not only shadow, but hopefully work with/for. The same goes for if you decide against homes and look at being a commercial realtor which offers much more of a regular schedule (M-F - 9-5) and can be more stable and, if you're good, more prosperous.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I have no clue about the profitability of being a realtor...but I know this...you will never look back at your life and wish you worked more hours. Especially if you don't love your job. And with all the exciting stuff going on with you and your man, you're going to want the time to enjoy it. Also, I think that too often people settle for a job because it pays well instead of being persistent in finding their dream job. Our society frown on switching jobs too often, but who is going to love the first few jobs they have? I say check into it. You might just love it. And how cool would it be to go to work every day doing what you love?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home