Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Old Man Turns 40

Mr.M is turning 40 in approximately 23 days. How do I know the exact number of days? Because we have paid good money to be sailing on the beautiful waters of the caribbean on that very day.

We are so excited we eat, sleep, and drink cruise. That's all we talk about - it's all we think about. We've been hitting the gym none stop since we booked it. Most people would be going to the gym to get "swimsuit ready". No - not us. Maybe because I will never be "swimsuit ready" - I have huge boobs and a little poochy belly - I'll never look like Adrian from America's Next Top Model.

We're working out so we can eat ourselves into a coma when we get on the boat. It's all about stamina people. The more we work out now -the more likely our metabolism will be at a place where we can burn some of those 3000 calories a day I plan to eat. Oh - and I'll be on the elyptical machine on the boat everyday too - just so I can eat my weight in filet mignon everynight - pass the cheesecake.

So here's the problem: What do you get for the man who has everything - literally.

Here's the initial list:

1. Bike - he bikes at the gym and it might be nice to have bikes for the summer when we don't feel like going into a hot gym and we'd like to enjoy the outdoors. He's never owned a bike - and may not ever take it out of the garage. I'd be taking a leap of faith here.

2. Bracelet - manly of course. When I got my wisdom teeth out they put me under so I had to remove my jewelry. I wear an ID bracelet from Tiffany and co. that he bought me 2 Christmases ago. He put it on while I was in surgery and didn't take it off for a week. It looked good on him. However - I'm no sure he'd wear something like this everyday and I don't know that it would mean as much to him as it would to me.

3. Nice bottle of Port Wine - as old as he is to enjoy on the boat the night of his birthday. Trouble is - Mr. M is pretty much a sober guy. He doesn't drink - I can count on one hand how many times I've seen him partake in a beverage. However, he does enjoy a nicely aged port. Might be difficult to smuggle onboard though.

4. A ring - of the platinum band variety. No - not a "will you marry me" ring. Just a "you're special to me" ring with a sweet inscription on the inside of it. The drawbacks of this choice could be huge. He could try and give it back or refuse to accept it. He could also wear it and make me quite happy that I got it for him. It's possible I should steer clear of this choice all together - simply because the possibility for him to have the "wrong" reaction is too great.

What do you think people? Any ideas?
Yes - he already has an expensive new watch.
Yes - he already has a LOT of beautiful ties and cuff links
Yes - he already has 2! ipods.
Yes - he already has a humidor that's bigger than the medicine cabinet for his plethora of finely aged cuban cigars.

4 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger A Room to Grow said...

I think that the bike is a good idea especially because it's a healthy thing. Other ideas:

Mobile GPS, Travel DVD player, Spa/Massage Gift Certificates, Grill, Golf(?), ...

Hmmm, I wouldn't do the ring thing. Sounds like the timing wouldn't be right on that ...

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Cursing Mama said...

I'm going with the bike thing - you know there are a ton of places to take the bikes around here....makes me wonder why we rarely take ours out of the neighborhood......

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's face it. Men are just too darn hard to buy for. Every time I buy a gift for my man I'm taking a leap of faith. He is ALWAYS appreciative although 50% of the time he doesn't use the gift. I'd say bike or port.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I'm with everyone else here...go for the bike! It sounds like a great idea and he might find it more relaxing than the gym.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home