Friday, September 09, 2005

Here We Go Again

I'm in Phoenix on a business trip right now. I've been here since yesterday at noon which means I've been traveling with work people since 8AM yesterday.

I had a fun night last night hob knobbing and putting faces to all the voices I hear over the phone everyday.

Today I'm actually visiting our companies other office that is here in Phoenix. If there was one resounding theme for the day it is:

I don't want to do this

The cubes are small, the light is florescent, it is eerily quiet, the carpet is old and stained. I just can't do it. If this is what "corporate America" is ... I dont' want it. I don't want to to do this. I've had this depressing feeling floating right below the surface. People talking about this job or that, telling me that they have worked here for 10+ years, seeing the fatigue in their face and in their voice. Working long hours, sometimes past 10 at night.

To top it off I got a reminder email from CoolBoss today about only taking half hour lunches and if you take a longer lunch you have to stay longer at the end of the day yada yada yada. The email wasn't just for me, it was for everybody. I'm pretty sure it wasn't her idea to send it either, I'm sure she was doing it because someone above her told her she had to. The reason I started at this company was because I wanted to feel trusted and not be treated like a child. I'm a grown adult, with a college education and a life. I will NOT be timed when I have lunch, I just will not do it.

I just want to be home - with my kitten and my man.

Here we go again... dust off that resume.

1 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

OMG, I can soo relate. You start to envision yourself 20 years from now in that cubicle and its a terrifying scene. Definitely been there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home